Macerata stands on a hill 313 meters s.l.m. within the valleys of the River Power to the north and south of the river Chienti; about 30 km west of the Adriatic Sea, about 60 km Umbria-Marche Apennines, near the Sibillini mountains.
Unclear is the etymology of the name: some historians claim that derives from the ancient maceriae Ricina, Roman colony of III or II BC, others claim that it derives from the Latin word Bates indicating the place where you put to macerate the flax and hemp to work then the textile fiber. For many centuries the city was divided into two "resting", one independent and the other under the control of the bishops of Fermo. In 1138 the two hillocks were united and the castle Castrum Maceratae gave the name to the new municipality, while the Podium Sancti Juliani (today would be the area of the "cowl" and part of "Fosse") carried the religious tradition and its protector: San Giuliano.
The original coat of arms had a mill on a red shield with a crown above directed. The mill was a symbol borrowed from the ancient Ricina and represented the industriousness of Macerata and also a peculiarity of the area, rich in water which were used just to power of many mills. The coat of arms changed in 1570 when it was added a red Greek cross on a white field by permission of Pope Pius V, who was grateful to the city for the participation of some of his children in the fight against the Turks and to remind the competition of the Crusades from Macerata 1188.